Monday, January 13, 2014

The Great Eventing Vest Dilemma (opinions needed!)

Years ago, my parents gave me a Tipperary eventing vest, back before vests were required for competition (yeah, I’m that old). I LOVE that vest – it’s light, breathable, and super flexible, and even in 100+ degree Texas heat, I don’t really notice I’m wearing it.

Most of the vest companies recommend replacing vests every 2-5 years, or more often if you hit the ground in them. Mine is... uhm… at least 15 years old. Although it still fits just fine, the foam is noticeably thinner than on the new vests I’ve tried out, and the zipper is shot. In other words, it’s waaaay past time to replace it.

My Tipperary vest, circa 1999

I really want my new vest to be certified – the Tipperary vests are not certified because they are constructed of many small pieces of foam, and theoretically would allow an object to puncture the space between the foam. So I’ve been looking at a couple of other companies that make certified vests, namely Airowear, Charles Owen, and Rodney Powell.

Charles Owen vests

The design and construction of these vests is quite similar – solid pieces of foam over the body. Our local Dover store carries the Airowear vests, so I tried a few of them on. After wearing the Tipperary for most of my adult life, I can definitely say that I do NOT like the bulk of the other style of vests. The Tipps are very flexible and really move with you, but in the Airowear I felt like I couldn’t even get my arms down by my sides because of the bulk of the vests. But ok, whatever, I’m willing to sacrifice a bit of comfort for a certified vest.

Airowear vest

However, I’ve encountered a stumbling block that may leave me with very little choice as to the vest I ultimately purchase. My original Tipperary vest is custom-made, because when I got it, Tipperary ONLY did custom vests. What I did not realize is that despite the plethora of sizes that are now available, I may still need to have a custom vest made, because NONE of the off-the-rack vests fit me. Here are the issues:
  • Chest size – Much to my embarrassment, I’m a kid’s size. Even the smallest women’s sizes leave too much of a gap around the bust. But if I go with a kid’s size vest, they are far too short in both the front (don’t cover the ribs) and the back (don’t cover my tailbone).
  • Tailbone protection – The Tipperary Tall XS is the only vest that actually covers my tailbone. All the rest of them, even in the “long” lengths, are at least an inch (even two!) above the end of my tailbone. Airowear does make an “extra long” length, but the measurements show that it will probably still be too short. And because it’s special order, I can’t return it if it doesn’t fit.
  • Rib protection – The front of the Airowear vests are at least an inch above the end of my ribs. However, the Tipperary covers my entire rib cage. 
I have not tried on either the Charles Owen or the Rodney Powell vests, but I could order both types of vests to try on and see if I like the construction. Neither manufacturer makes off-the-rack vests in a size that I’d have any hope would fit me, so I’d definitely have to return whatever I ordered and order something custom-made to fit. Tipperary, Airowear, and Rodney Powell will make vests custom-sized, but it doesn’t look like Charles Owen will (boo).

Rodney Powell Pro Body Armor

So it looks like my choices are a non-certified custom Tipperary, or a custom certified RP or Airowear vest. I’m super-tempted to go with the Tipperary, just because they are a comfortable and known quantity, but there’s that little certification thing in the back of my mind. So, anybody had any experiences with any of the other vests, or with having a vest custom-made from any of these companies? I need some help making a decision!!!

12 comments:

  1. I have a friend whose husband works in insurance and likes numbers. According to him, use of helmets cause like a 50% drop in the number of equine accidents that result in hospitalization and the like. Use of vests has a negligible effect.

    As such, I've never actually worried about my non-certified vest. Certified vests are not required and until they are, I guess I'm not interested in forking over more money for something that I'm not convinced makes a huge difference.

    That said, I've only come off in my vest one time and it wasn't a fall in which the vest made a difference. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest reason to get a certified vest (IMHO) is in case USEA requires them. I don't want to have just purchased a new vest, only to have to buy ANOTHER one that is certified. And the certified ones aren't any more expensive, which is nice.

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure if you are aware of this option or not, but Tipperary now makes a Certified Vest as well. They introduced it late summer/fall last year. If you love your Tipp, that may be an option to look into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm aware of those. They are on indefinite back-order and have been since they were released. Right now they are just not an option, which is really sad since I wanted one of those. Sad panda.

      Delete
  3. Any chance the USEA is going to make approved vests required since dressage and hunter/jumper now require approved helmets and that's a relatively new thing ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been in the rumor mill for a while that USEA will require certified vests. Of course, even if they passed a rule tomorrow, it would be a year or more before it would be enacted.

      It's funny to think that H/J just now require approved helmets. Those have been required in eventing since the early 1990s. Not that y'all are behind the times or anything, lol!

      Delete
  4. I'm sticking with my Tipp until certified vests are required, which I don't think is going to happen anytime soon. I hate the bulky one-piece foamy vests, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on the Tipp winning hands-down for comfort!

      Delete
  5. Check out Kan-Tec too -- I tried one on with the rep last spring at So8ths, there's a review on the blog. Super comfy.

    Yes, you will feel like a zombie who can't move when you put it on. But what I love about the RP is that in about two minutes, the foam warms and forms to my body and I forget it's there. I HIGHLY recommend actually riding in a vest - putting it on the store tells you almost nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually wore the Airoware around the store for about 20 minutes, but I didn't notice much difference in flexibility. Not sure how they'd feel about me going out and sweating in it, lol!

      Delete
  6. FWIW, the Charles Owen vest softens up considerably once you’ve had it on for a few minutes. It’ll never feel like a Tipperary, but it also won’t feel like a suit of armor. Worth wearing for 10-15min before you make your final decision. I like mine very much; I’ve never found it to interfere with my riding and it gives me confidence in a way that the super-flexible vests just don’t. Can’t help you with the length issue; I wear a kid’s XL rather than an adult size specifically for the shorter length! But the way the CO is designed, you could easily pair a front-plate of one size with a back-plate of another if you could convince a vendor to sell you the pieces – maybe by talking with the manufacturer directly?

    My understanding is that crash vests are designed to protect your ribcage and organs, not your tailbone. A vest long enough to protect your tailbone is long enough to interfere when you sit down in the saddle. Which doesn’t mean that can’t be an important feature to you! Just, the part where some vests don’t do it is a design feature, not a bug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about the COs. I will ask the mfg about extending the back-plates - we'll see what they say.

      From what I understand, the vests are designed to protect the top of your tailbone - basically to the point where your back/butt comes in contact with the saddle, minus 4 cms. All the vests I tried on fell far short of that point, except the Tipps. They also did not come over my last rib in front. Pout. Whyyyy must I be a funny size, whyyyy???

      Delete