Wednesday, January 22, 2014

What's the craziest thing you've ever done with your horse?

Recently the hubby and I were looking through some old pictures, and we came across some that were truly gems. It's kind of amazing what you forget you've done, but then you find the photographic evidence (some of which you wish would just magically disappear) staring you right in the face.

Exhibit A: Fuzzypony and "The Horse of a Different Color" 

That's Fuzzypony dressed as a munchkin, and my Lipizzan mare Karlita (aka Moose) dyed pink - all for a Wizard of Oz themed party. I managed to escape having the moment immortalized on camera by being the one taking the picture... thank goodness!

The backstory on this is that a mutual friend of ours put on a party with the theme of "Return to Oz". He wanted to have the Horse of a Different Color as a photo op for guests. Fuzzypony and I spent an afternoon applying pink and purple human hair dye to one Very Patient Lipizzan mare.

I remember spending a lot of time laughing about how the dye was super-safe because the label said it was "Not Tested On Animals," to which we gleefully responded, "Now it has been, and it works GREAT!" I'm pretty sure the folks at the barn we were boarding at at the time thought we were certifiable, which was (and probably still is) the case.

Moose was a huge hit at the party, and I am pleased to report that the dye mostly washed out after one good shampooing, as advertised. Moose did have a slight purplish streak in her tail for about a month afterwards, though, and I'm not sure she ever entirely forgave me for the experience. Certainly it's something I'll never forget!

What's the craziest thing you've ever done with your horse? Bonus points for pics on your blog!

16 comments:

  1. The first year I had Shy, I used that spray color hairspray to make her My Little Pony. . .
    http://adventureswithahorse.blogspot.com/2011/10/monday-musings-by-shyloh-9.html

    Since it was cold and I couldn't give a bath, Shy had a pink mane for the longest time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, this is some impressive Pink on your Poneh!

      Delete
  2. Haha, love it!
    I lead a boring life with Ypke compared to that. Craziest thing I have done (if you can even call it crazy) was the Veteran's Day parade! http://chroniclesofamoodymare.blogspot.com/2014/01/day-3-your-proudest-riding-moment.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riding horses in parades is pretty nuts... I shudder to think about the number of things that could go wrong! She looks fabulous, though, and sounds like she handled herself like a pro!

      Delete
  3. I never colored her, but I did lead her across a railroad train bridge over a 15 foot deep canal. Not something I would do now.

    And I took all six of my horses into my house where I grew up as a kid, all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SIX HORSES IN YOUR HOUSE???!?! You win.

      Did your mother kill you? Mine would have...

      Delete
  4. I have a black horse and dressed up with a black cloak and my (professional photographer) friend took twilight photos - looks like something out of Lord of the Rings, so cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds SUPER cool! Post pics or link to them, please? I wanna see!!

      Delete
  5. Bahaha! My horse is sooooo lucky he's not a "dyeable" color!

    I still regularly do the craziest thing, that's to hack my horse down trails with my runaway-prone Siberian husky running alongside on an extendable leash hooked to my saddle (with twine and a safety release ... doesn't help, I know). Sometimes both dogs are hooked up. Pictures on my blog, and my Instagram: http://instagram.com/p/jXL03bq3cZ/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit to having considered taking our runaway-prone Malamute mix (hmmm, something about those Alaskan breeds, eh?) on an extendable leash while riding... but given that he has no qualms about going right under the horse, I figured that was a bad idea. Your two look like they get the idea and have the whole "walk from horse" thing down pat. So cool! Slightly crazy, I agree. ;)

      Delete
  6. I've subjected my horses to many momenta of crazy and humiliating. Mitch has thus far been dressed up as an unicorn, a war horse, a Breeders' Cup racehorse (haha, as IF!) and the first year I got Jet back, I dressed up in black and we were a Nazgul pair. I was even trying to figure out how to do the neck covers they had, but ran out of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^^ dude, one day I want another black horse so I can be a Nazgul. \m/

      Delete
  7. I'm sure you remember my personal MLP!
    http://fundersgoodidea.blogspot.com/2011/10/ponies-are-magic.html
    That's the only photo op crazy I've got. Starting at VC felt crazier. Riding Champ under a railroad bridge with a train going by overhead was definitely crazier. But dyeing your horse is hella fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think riding a horse under a railroad bridge with a train going by overhead may tie for having six horses in your house at once. That's just nuts!

      Delete
  8. It's like Barbie threw up everywhere :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that was a great image. Thanks, I need eye bleach. ;)

      Delete