Saturday, April 12, 2014

Movin' on up (to First Level)

After our awesome showing at Training 2 and 3 (let's ignore my senior moments, TYVM), a couple of people asked if I'd thought about moving us up to First Level. I admit, yes I've had that thought, since it's really the next logical step.

(Caveat: I suppose the next REALLY logical step is to show him at Training at a recognized show - because face it, a schooling show and a recognized show just aren't the same thing. Maybe we could try to qualify for the regional USDF Championships? But I'm not sure that the year-ends are my goal here. Maybe? There are plenty of recognized shows I could go to, but they are quite pricey, and I really need to think about WHY I'm attending them if I'm going to go. That question isn't yet resolved, so I'll focus on moving up instead.)

Anyway, I sat down and checked out the first level tests earlier this week. Let's just say that we currently have NONE of the pieces needed to put together a first-level test. Sure, we can trot 10 meter circles and canter 15 meter circles (really!), but I'd never even considered asking Paddy for a lengthen  trot or canter, both of which show up in all three tests. Heck, I've spend nearly every ride trying to slow him down, not asking for more! First level also requires a leg yield both directions, and while he's great to the left, he still sort of gets stuck going right.

Oh well, I guess that gives us plenty to work on, right?

That being said, this is not a bad lengthen for a first try. Go Haffie Power!

17 comments:

  1. Seriously! Look at him go!

    Recognized or rated shows were never in my budget or goal set. I think it is wise to consider the motivation for going before putting up the money and time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are definitely reasons to attend rated shows, if you have specific goals. I'm still trying to figure out what those are, so for now we'll stick to schooling shows. Cheaper and much less stressful!

      Delete
  2. Go Go Haffie Go Go! There's always something more to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You both look great!!! Haffies rock!!! And you look good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need some work on my position - I was just trying to get him to get the idea of what I wanted (bigger not faster) so I fell to pieces. But I know what I need to work on!

      Delete
  4. Haffie power!!! Work towards whatever goal seems like more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cuteness of the Haffie definitely has its own power. ;)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited to see that he actually HAS a bigger trot in there - hope for future movements!

      Delete
  6. Great picture! I see those toes flickin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeek, I hope there aren't any toes flicking! That's very undesirable in dressage, since it happens when the horse hyperextends the front legs to compensate for not carrying the weight properly behind. I'll definitely have to keep an eye out to make sure that doesn't happen - thanks for the reminder!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. With a LOT of practice, anything is possible!

      Delete
  8. Ahh! I am in the same place- about to move up to First level, but we've got some serious work to do with lengthenings! I think I preferred the older tests, where they introduced things a little slower! (lateral work + canter lengthenings weren't until First Level test 2/3)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? What happened to the older tests! Now I feel like everything's happening at once. Yikes!

      Delete
  9. What a gorgeous moment in that photo!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete