Friday, March 11, 2011

Barn update

The barn's been at a bit of a standstill this week. The framing is complete and has been inspected (passed with flying colors, woohoo!), but then we had a bit of a snafu when we ordered the metal for the roof and sides. To make a very long story short, after two groups of people measuring everything three times, and putting in the order and having all the metal cut, a THIRD group (the guy who's actually putting the roof on) came out to measure and told us we'd screwed up. AAARGH!

After moving panels around and recalculating and double-checking (and the hubby actually going to the metal fab plant and talking to the very nice folks there twice), we figured we could get by only ordering three new pieces, plus a slightly different roof peak. Fortunately it wasn't that expensive of a mistake, thank goodness (if you haven't priced metal recently, it is NOT cheap). We'll probably end up using the extra panels to build a new chicken coop, so it's not a complete loss. Still, it made for a very tense and frustrating day while we got everything straightened out.

The good news is that the metal will be delivered today and they should start putting it on today as well - or if it's too windy, tomorrow. Which means that we should have a completed barn by the middle of next week! Well, minus a whole lot of interior finish work, of course. Still... the end is in sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment