Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Throwing down the gauntlet on R+ training

When Leo first arrived, he was incredibly reactive and distrusting. The first time I got on him, he tried to bolt away from the mounting block. Heck, even getting him TO the mounting block was a challenge. Because I wanted to build a positive relationship (and didn't want to get hurt), I decided scale things way back and start from scratch.

So I started with R+ (aka clicker) training. It's not something I've ever really used with horses before except to play a little with Paddy, but look, they clicker trained a PUFFER FISH to identify shapes, and surely Haffies are smarter than puffer fish?

Puffer fish starts in at about 1:20.

R+ was originally developed to work with large marine mammals, because let's face it, you cannot force a killer whale to jump through a hoop if it doesn't want to. The concept is simple though - you create an association between a stimulus and a reward (click and treat).

One of the first things you can do with R+ training is to teach the horse to touch a target with their nose. The target can be anything, but I started with a glove because that's what I had handy. The first two or three times, I pointed to it and said "TOUCH!" When Leo went to sniff it, I kind of gently bonked his nose with it, said "YES!", and gave him a treat. I used "YES" instead of a click because I can use it anywhere, even say it under my breath when riding and he gives me a behavior I want.

After about the third bonk, the lightbulb went off, and he was like a glove-seeking missile. I put the glove high and low, even on the (scary) mounting block, wherever, and he'd touch it with his nose and get a YES! and a treat. This session literally lasted maybe 5 minutes - it took him no time at all to catch on to this new game. Take that, puffer fish!

We then started working on touching whatever I pointed at instead of just the glove... paper, the wall, a brush, a blanket, a towel... anything I could find. Leo though it was super fun and started touching anything he could, even when I didn't ask. I did not give affirmation for those tries, and eventually he learned that he only got a reward when I asked. This is a common problem, where they start offering a behavior because you *might* want it - simply don't acknowledge it, and they'll stop.

When we were out trail riding (solo) one day, Leo stopped to stare at this scary pile of leaf bags. I waited about .002 seconds before he took a deep breath and marched over to touch them so he could get a cookie. It was all his decision - no kicking, clucking or anything on my part. This stuff works, y'all.

Leo isn't a fan of loud noises, and since hubby sometimes rides Paddy and Griffy in armor, I wanted him to be more comfortable around that. So, we started touching a metal jousting gauntlet. At first I held it still and he touched that, but eventually I started clanking it a bit. Within one five-minute session, Leo went from extremely tense about the clanking to this:

Literally cannot wait for me to throw the gauntlet so he can touch it

We've also used R+ training when hubby is out swinging swords around. At first, we'd stand and watch, and Leo would get a cookie for being relaxed. Eventually, he'd get a cookie if he would come up close while hubby was actually swinging the sword. Then hubby started giving him cookies while swinging the sword and poking me with it (rude).

 
Here Leo (center) is taking a nap while hubby (right) and RH (left) are stabbing me with plastic swords. Way to save your rider, buddy. 

The only downside to all this is that Leo now expects anyone swinging a sword to give him cookies. Hubby was out doing sword work with Griffy the other night and Leo was literally chasing him around going "Hey Mister! Hey Mister!", absolutely convinced he was going to get a cookie if he could just get close enough.

Dangers of R+ training = attack haffies

Have you ever used R+ training and if so, what for?

24 comments:

  1. I love everything about this! What a change in his overall demeanor. You've done a really good thing here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that one photo is like a haffie sandwich heheh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leo was clearly SO concerned about that. Not.

      Delete
  3. Attack Haffie may be my spirit animal. Thanks for making me laugh at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All haffies are attack haffies if there is food involved. Sigh.

      Delete
  4. I've done some clicker training with Phantom. She's not scared of anything, it just makes her slow down and actually think about what I'm asking instead of figuring that she knows what I'm going to ask so she'll do it before I ask.
    She's a bit of a treat whore - she'll do whatever it takes to get that treat. Cisco is not the same way, so I'm still trying to figure out what will work for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Griffy often chooses not to participate with R+ training, but that's OK, Paddy and Leo make up for his lack of enthusiasm! Good luck with Cisco!

      Delete
  5. I used R+ in the same way you did with teaching Katai to touch something scary and that than she’d get a treat. It’s worked really well and to this day if something startled her she works her own way over to touch it.

    I also gave her a treat from her back whenever she spooked. I read an article about it once and instead of teaching them to shy it teaches them to immediately de-escalate themselves. That worked really well for her as well and has made a big impact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leo also gets cookies when he's tense, and it's definitely reduces his reactions as well. R+ is the way to go!

      Delete
  6. I use R+ training... for everything. Anything hard, anything scary, I find five minutes with my clicker I can make a lot more positive, a lot less scary. Jump the filler? Lift your back and reach for the connection? Park your happy feet somewhere and stay there?

    Anyhow - I love that this is growing in popularity. It's SUCH a powerful tool and I just adore reading about new owners finding helpfulness in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there was more info about it being used during riding - I feel like most of the information is to teach "tricks" like bowing. Which is fun, but figuring out the bridge to instilling more desired behaviors under saddle is a bit of a challenge!

      Delete
  7. LOVE this! I'm cracking up at him chasing down swords in search of cookies. Hahaha! I used R+ to teach Ozzy all his tricks. Like you, I used "yes" instead of a click. It's so fun to watch that light bulb go off!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used R+ to teach Val all of his tricks, and used "yes" as well. You can say yes faster than messing with a clicker, and I generally want both of my hands free when working with horses. It did create a bit of an R+ monster - once when Val thought he should have gotten a treat - he offered all of his tricks one after another really fast in a hilarious attempt to fill his pie hole...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehehehe Death by attack Haffies is my favorite way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many haffies. So many swords. So much touching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly too much of all these things? Is that even possible?

      Delete
  11. I recently used R+ to teach Harley to put his nose up to my face so I could kiss it...I think we can all see how dumb of an idea that was...
    ::facepalm:: (both in embarrassment and literally to protect my face)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Among other things I'd taught my Hafy mare Camryn to play basketball with a child's Little Tykes hoop. Had to cut down the backboard so her noggin wouldn't hit it every time. I no longer have her. She loved click training. Side note, don't teach touching/fetching traffic cones if you plan to use in other aspects of training!!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay Leo, I had wondered if he might be a good clicker subject, it really can help build confidence in some horses. I used it with Solo to help him master (most of) his terror of longe whips. It did work for that, but nothing else with him, as he is not food-motivated enough to work for a treat. His general response is "meh, give me the treat or don't, I'm too cool to beg."

    I am not even going to open the door with Echo in any formal way, I am 99.99999% (that's really high for a scientist, LOL) sure it would create a monster -- he is WAY too smart & loves treats WAY too much. He would be one of those animals who invents his OWN repertoire of 100 tricks to see if any of them result in food dispensing. And he would not give up just because 90 of them didn't work. XD

    I have, though, used it in a couple isolated instances as a bridge to make it super clear for him that "good boy!" was really good - like getting over the initial hump of scarily noisy plastic bags touching your body, the distraction of a treat was just enough to get through that initial anxiety/fear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used some +R with Baby to get her more confident about jumping. Worked well with the little stuff but couldn't get it to pan out over larger things. Still like the method though!

    ReplyDelete