Saturday, March 20, 2010

Happy first day of spring!

Today is the first day of spring!

Here, the day came in like a lion - a violent thunderstorm at about 6 a.m., with probably at least an inch of rain. And the high today was a whopping 56 degrees, when it's been nearing 80 for most of the week. Tonight, it's cold and windy, and I won't be surprised if there's frost on the ground in the morning. The horses have their blankets on tonight, and probably will again tomorrow night if the forecast holds true.

While the temperatures may not be very spring-like for central Texas, I am glad for the rain. After a bad drought last year, we're doing well so far this spring. It's raining almost weekly, so I'm not having to water my garden - which is a good thing, because the nearest spigot is over 100 feet away (more about that in another post). So I shall celebrate the first day of spring, here are pictures from the garden yesterday.

Onions

Snow peas

Bush beans (these were GREAT last year - one of the few things I didn't kill)

Carrots (for us, we'll share the tops with the horses)

Swiss chard

If you're growing a garden this year, what's "up" in it?

No comments:

Post a Comment