Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Why I am no longer on speaking terms with my oven

Last night after dinner (the timeline is important here, so make note of this), I decided to use up the dead bananas to make some banana nut bread, a favorite around here.

I tossed the ingredients into the stand mixer, let it mix, poured the batter into the bread pan, and put it into the oven.

An hour later, kiddo#1 came in to tell me that the banana nut bread might be done, since the top of the crust was nice and golden and it was starting to smell really good.

I pulled it out of the oven, but it was gooey in the center, so I put it back in and went to take a shower.

After the shower, the hubby mentioned that the banana nut bread might be done, since it was looking so yummy. I tested again, and it was still liquid in the center. I put it back in again - at this point it had been in the oven for over an hour and a half.

At 5:38 the morning, I woke up to an oddly sweet, yet burnt, smell, and it occurred to me I'd better go take the banana nut bread out of the oven.

Banana nut bread, carbon edition.

I am not talking to this oven any more. I want my convection oven back. And my gas stove.

Did I mention I'm supposed to be cooking Easter dinner this Sunday for 9? If you're on the guest list, you might want to make alternative plans.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, oh dear. Yeah, you need a proper stove and cooktop. Have you tested how true to temp the oven is? That might help you a little in the interim.

    ReplyDelete